A common question we get from our customers is "what type of water treatment will kill viruses and bacteria in the water supply?".
It's no secret that sanitization and sterilization is a high priority for home and business owners currently. When it comes to keeping your water supply clean from viruses and bacteria, we always recommend an Ultra-Violet (UV) Filter.
UV disinfection is tested and proven to kill 99.99 percent of bacteria and viruses that may be present in your tap water or well water.
How Do UV Filters Work?
UV water filters utilize the electromagnetic energy of the light to offer protection against harmful substances in water by attacking them at their genetic core. The UV energy destroys illness-causing microorganisms by altering their DNA and eliminating their ability to reproduce.
In order for the UV light to kill microorganisms, the UV rays must actually strike the cell to sterilize them. The process does not remove any particles from the water or alter it chemically, it simply prevents its DNA reproduction.
In UV water filtration systems the UV lamps never make contact with the water; they are either housed in a sleeve inside the water chamber or mounted outside transparent tubes that transport water.
The flow rate at which the water is exposed to the UV light is an important factor as a flowrate that is too high will not provide the water ample time to be exposed and a flow rate that is too low can cause too much heat to build up and damage the UV lamp.
Do You Need UV Filtering on Public Water Systems?
The US public water systems have made great strides in identifying and removing known water-transferred viruses and bacteria. However, that does not mean they are 100% safe.
16 million cases of acute gastroenteritis occur each year at US community water systems. In 2015, nearly 21 million people relied on community water systems that violated health-based quality standards.
So, while public water systems are mostly safe, there are cases every year of violations and outbreaks. A UV filter can be added insurance for your home or business and peace-of-mind that you are protected in the event you are supplied contaminated water.
Benefits of UV Filtering?
UV purification systems can take water purification to another level and are a safe solution to remove the dangers of microorganisms from your water. UV Water treatment is:
• Effective – destroying 99.99% of microorganisms
• Chemical Free – UV systems use no chemicals. Water is passed under ultraviolet light to kill organisms
• Environmentally Friendly – UV is a viable, environmentally friendly alternative to chlorination and emits absolutely no by-products
• Hassle-Free – Once installed, a UV system simply needs annual service
• Reliable – works 24/7/365 keeping your water supply safe
• Safe – no handling of dangerous chemicals is required
• Fast – water flows through the system with no need for a holding tank or reaction times
• Clean – no dirty filters or media to dispose of, ever!
• Low Energy Use
• Conserves Resources – The UV purification process does not waste any water
• FDA Approved – UV is one of only 4 methods approved for disinfection by the FDA
Talk to a Professional
There are many factors that come into play when deciding on which UV Filter to get for your home or business. We strongly recommend discussing your options with a professional water treatment company or a licensed specialist.
There may be other contaminants in your water that may require a filter. They also might recommend a water softener if your area has particularly hard water that may be damaging your plumbing and appliances.